Since our official forum is littered with spam, our user rss sau (Russ) has created and is maintaining a new forum hosted by freeforums.net.
We’ve moved all forum links to the new host.
EDIT July 29th: the forums now moved to freeforums.com.
Hi everyone! I’ve been asked a lot lately what is the current progress status of Ethanon. This is why I decided to write this quick update so you guys can catch up with me.
The Magic Rampage project is doing fine, at least for my expectations, and I’m still super busy with it. This is the main reason why I have lowered down by a lot how often I submit my regular updates to the Ethanon project. However, I’ve just finished the first “season” of the game (this is how I’m calling it), and I intend to start building up things for the next season as soon as I finish releasing Magic Rampage on other platforms as it was planned at the beginning.
Magic Rampage is a much larger project compared to my previous ones, and I’ve been taking many notes on how the engine should be improved from the game developer’s perspective, mainly focusing on productivity for larger projects. I believe it will bring major usability and functionality enhancements.
While I start building up for the next project is when I plan to execute all major overhauls and updates to the Ethanon project. Which is more likely to happen during late 2014 or early 2015.
One last thing, I’m sorry I have been a bit absent from the forums. If anyone has an urgent issue, feel free to write to the mailing list which I’ve been using a bit more often now.
Hello everyone! Most of you have noticed my lack of updates and support in the forums. The thing is, I’ve been super busy with Magic Rampage now, and I will need to spend all my focus and efforts in the game during the upcoming weeks. Since it uses Ethanon, it means that the work in the engine will keep moving forward, but a bit slower for now.
Lots of things happened around Ethanon lately, so I’ll do a quick recap…
Asantee Games is about to release its new Ethanon-powered game, an action-RPG platformer of which you’ll learn more about very soon. But traditionally, along with the new game release, I’m making available a newer version of Ethanon Engine with all the improvements that were necessary to make the game possible.
Among the most significant ones is the improved compiler output, which formats each warning and error indicator in a way that makes them much easier to track. Runtime exceptions within AngelScript code now output complete callstacks to the console.
Also, the file manager inside the engine core now automatically identifies source file encoding (UTF-8 with or without BOM and UTF-16), which means that it is no longer necessary to keep all .angelscript files as UTF-8 with BOM (this one would annoy many unwarned beginners), and most important of all, .par, .ent and .esc files no longer need to keep the UTF-16 format, making them versionable by GIT.
And last, but not least, it is now possible to set multiple text colours in a single DrawText call, and the Android port has also a better physical keyboard support, great for gaming on those sort-of Android netbooks.
As always, more details are in the change-log.